Monday, March 5, 2012

Con videos

First of all, I was a naughty con-goer and I do have them. But.
Here's the thing.
I started feeling really bad about uploading con videos to YouTube. I actually felt like this last year too, but I did it anyway because I knew that there were ppl who would want to see them. And now here we are, BurCon 2012, one year later, I'm a year older smarter. And the feeling didn't go away. It actually intensified.

I probably should've stayed away from the REC button, but I just couldn't not record some things. It's nice to have something tangible and not just your memories.
I guess I managed to grow a conscience. Or whatever you wanna call it. I mean, would Jared really want that Are-my-teeth-clean video shot from half a meter away to find its way to YouTube? OK, so he probably wouldn't mind, he's outgoing like that, but if it was me, no, I wouldn't want that. BTW, I do that with pics too. If they are really unflattering or weird, I don't post them. I mean, would Jensen really want everyone to see his uvula? (Man, that is one disturbing photo.)
Idk, I'll probably cave and upload some insignificant stuff, but I don't think I'll be able to make myself upload everything I have. And yes, that includes the last 9 minutes of Jensen & Jared Q&A.
And that funny Let-me-show-you-my-teeth video with the camera practically in Jared's face. Damn you my newly grown whatever it is!
It's a bit too up close and personal.
But it's kinda cute. I'm maybe a bit torn.
I'll tell you what. Get Jared's permission and I'll upload it.
EDIT: OMG, there are some pretty stupid ppl out there. Of course I'm just kidding. I don't really want you to go and get Jared's permission. I'm absolutely rolling my eyes right now. And let me say it again - yes, I was just KIDDING. Đizs.
For those who don't know how to read between the lines! What I actually said was: I won't upload it (unless I change my mind about the whole thing and in that case that will have nothing to do with Jared) because it never even occurred to me that somebody would actually go and ask permission. At least, no sane person. I see now where my mistake was. Apparently, I was giving some of you too much credit.


Feel free to express your opinion in the comments.


(The video I mentioned is not that bad, it's just an example.)

10 comments:

  1. I literally need these videos and pictures to breathe! You wouldn't deprive a poor fangirl of air would you? I have to see Jensen's uvula and Jared's beautiful face!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. So, you want me to feel bad? That's not very nice of you. :(

      JK. :)

      I'll post the pics when I get back home (Internet here sucks, and I need something bigger than a netbook to go through all the pics). And I'll probably upload a video or two, but I can't promise anything.

      Delete
  2. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! I feel bad about uploading videos, too.

      Delete
  3. I think you are way over thinking this.

    Both Jared and Jensen are well aware that fans film their convention panels/breakfast. They wouldn't do anything that they wouldn't want up on YouTube for all of fandom to see.

    They've done enough cons over the years to know that con videos get uploaded and viewed by a large chunk of fandom.

    I dunno. Share them if you want. Don't share them if you don't want. If you don't upload them, somebody else eventually will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's say I mostly agree with you. They know about the videos, but that doesn't mean that they are thinking about the possibility of ending up on YT every second of their panel/breakfast or that they want it to happen.

      Delete
  4. please,please,please,please!!!! upload :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that doesn't help. At all. lol
      I need written permission from the guests. Or at least a few good arguments that will make me stop feeling bad about the whole thing. And a milkshake. That has nothing to do with the videos, I just really want one right now.

      I don't know. I'll think about the whole thing some more, but I can't promise anything. If I do upload something to YT, it'll probably be unlisted, so come and check my blog later this week.

      Delete
  5. I'll offer my two cents here. I agree with the comment that Jared and Jensen are very aware that fans film their panels and post them on Youtube, and they've never ever asked fans not to do it (in fact I think they believe the opposite). They're in public, in front of hundreds of fans, and literally everything they say and do gets tweeted, frequently within seconds or minutes. Even the guests at the con are tweeting thanks and pictures, too. They all know how deeply this fandom is connected online.

    On a more personal level, I think the vids may actually be helpful to them because con vids get many thousands of hits and it shows how popular they are and allows a broader audience to see just how funny, charming and intelligent they are in person and how beloved they are by fans. Anything that increases their visibility helps the show, too, IMO.

    The final thing I'll say is that Jared and Jensen are extremely loyal to and appreciative of their fan base, and they know that we are the ones who have kept Supernatural on the air for seven seasons (they have said this repeatedly, along with most of the other people who make the show). They view us as part of the Supernatural family and they always try to give back, especially at cons. I just can't imagine that they wouldn't want their fans who couldn't attend the cons or couldn't afford the cons to be able to share in the experience.

    I hope you'll consider posting, we would all be eternally grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This actually helps. I really needed somebody else's perspective on this. I don't know why I suddenly started feeling bad about uploading videos to YT. I mean, I already uploaded 75 or so videos from previous cons, so it's not like I've never done it before.

      I will definitely think about this. I have a few days to decide. Internet sucks here at Marriott so there's no point in even trying to upload videos.

      Delete