Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yes, this IS a cover letter. I don't care what you say.

Looking for a part-time job

When I started looking for a part-time job (and blogging about it) five months ago, it never even occurred to me that part-time jobs in Croatia just - don't exist. (It's not my fault I'm scared of dogs, don't like cleaning and ironing - don't judge me, nobody likes that, I'm not a student and subtitling firms don't need someone who speaks English and Spanish and has a 12-year experience in subtitling. So, like I said - they don't exist.) I lost my enthusiasm very soon and it took a plane ticket to Los Angeles to save me from an oncoming depression. My hat is off to those who spend years looking, with no luck, for a full-time job. I was overwhelmed just by looking for a part-time one.

I am not saying I almost gave up, but... I did. Almost. I just won't say it.

And then I came across someone who was looking for article writers for a portal. Part-time job in Croatia?! I couldn't believe it. Writing and getting paid for it? I love writing! (And I don't hate the money either.) OK, I never wrote for a portal, but I write my blog. That's similar. Right? Besides, I can adjust. If I have to. I can even be dry and dull if need be. Probably. Maybe. There's a first time for everything. And the best part, I'd be working from home. I'm an expert, I've been working from home for 12 years. I took to flexible hours like fish to water and I don't need my boss peeking over my shoulder to meet my deadlines. (I'm pretty sure my inner procrastinator hates me. I ignore it.)

But... (There's always a but.)

It's not easy getting a job, even a part-time one. There's a lot of competition, people need money for cons (or is that just me?), there's always someone with more experience. Thank God I have something up my sleeve.


Yes, I did send this as a cover letter. Only it was less, y'know, English. Two hours later I got an e-mail. The woman that placed the ad asked me how much I would expect to be paid. That's an unfair question. Of course I'd like to get as much as possible, but ultimately it's up to her, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment