Thursday, March 7, 2013

Rio All-Suite Hotel, Las Vegas

Well, that was SO much fun. NOT.

It took me 22 hrs to get to Vegas. I left home on Wednesday at 6 am and landed in Vegas at 6:30ish pm (don't forget the 9-hour difference) and yadda, yadda, yadda, an hour later I was waiting for a cab in front of the airport. I got a really nice, chatty cab driver who took a scenic route between McCarran and Rio. $33. But he generously gave me a $3 discount cause he didn't turn where he should have. He was talking on the phone at the time, you see. But fine, whatever, I was finally at the Rio. Went to the front desk, got my keycard, found the elevators for Masquerade (which is not as easy as it might sound), found the room. And all I wanted was to go in and sleep for the next 12 hours. (I'm guessing somebody laughed so hard at my plans.) As soon as I entered the room, I was hit with this awful smell. I honestly don't know what that was. It wasn't cigarette smoke, BTW. I waited for a bit hoping it would air out cause I didn't really want to change rooms, I just wanted to go to sleep. But in the end I had to go find the front desk (no, really, not as easy as it might sound) and ask for another room. Which I didn't get cause at the time they didn't have another non-smoking room. But a guy from housekeeping came with some kind of a machine that was supposed to, I don't know, clean the air or something. But I had to leave the room for an hour. My exhausted self REALLY liked hearing that. I left, decided to find the convention center to see how far it is (not that far, as it turns out) and waited on a bench there until it was time to go back to the room. Yeah, the machine didn't help. The room smelled even worse. So, once again I went and asked for a new room. Still couldn't get one. Then the boss (or whatever he is) came. Said the same thing. I can either stay in the stench infested room for the night or get a smoking room. Which is actually the same thing. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke, but yes, omg, please give me the smoking room, I just want to go to bed! So when I can't breathe, at least I'll know what that smell is. I asked when I should come to get a non-smoking room and he told me that he already gave me a non-smoking room. In Ipanema tower.

#$%&*!

YOU COULD HAVE DONE THAT TWO FREAKING HOURS AGO!!!

I had 10 minutes to go get my stuff and then I was, once again, trying to find the elevators. (It gets easier after a while.) And then I was finally in my new room. I think it's smaller, the view (what view?!) is lousy, it has that door between two rooms that always freaks me out and I'm not sure the water's drinkable, but it looks cleaner and, OMG, the air in the room, the smell is so sweet and beautiful! When I entered the room, I just stood there for five minutes taking deep breaths. And smiling. Then I found the bed and passed out.


I'm really not fussy when it comes to hotel rooms. I didn't mind a room with a leak, nor a room that tried to freeze me to death, but I have to draw the line somewhere. If I'm paying $169/night for a room, I should at least be able to breathe in it. (Yes, when I booked a room months ago, they didn't have a group rate for Wed and Thu.)

I really don't know what possessed Creation Ent. to choose Rio. If I had a choice (and I don't cause the con is here), I would never stay here.


No comments:

Post a Comment